Antarctic Protector Parka
The Antarctic Protector Parka is the world's first expedition-grade parka developed from recycled and recyclable materials to withstand the harshest conditions on earth. The outer shell is made from 27 post-consumer plastic bottles and finished with a Fluorine-free water repellant. The 3-ply fabric achieves the highest waterproof rating of 20,000hh, while the 800-fill 95/5 sustainably-sourced goose down provides insulation to minus 25ºC.
Recycled and sustainable fabrics can be found in every detail. The inner storm cuffs are made from Merino wool; pocket linings and chinguard are a recycled polyester/wool blend; and all of the labels, stitching and webbing are made from recycled polyester.
The Protector is designed in Britain, made in Italy, and developed in partnership with Blue Marine Foundation to support the designation of marine protected areas (MPAs) across four million square kilometres of Antarctica’s waters. The Protector will be worn by field teams operating in the region, with a limited run of only 100 parkas for sale.
For each parka sold, Shackleton will donate £100 to Blue Marine Foundation.
- Post-consumer plastic bottles have been recycled and repurposed to create the waterproof outer shell fabric. It is a monofibre, which means that it is fully recyclable. At end of its life, the Protector can be recycled for future yarn and fabric creation preventing it from ending up in landfill
- The outer shell fabric is 3-layer fully-waterproof, achieving the highest waterproof rating of 20,000hh. It is windproof and breathable
- Fully seam-sealed for full waterproof protection
- The water repellency is Bionic Finish® ECO DWR, which is PFC-free and bluesign® certified with a PTFE-free membrane bluesign®, Standard 100 by Oeko-Tex certified
- The fabric itself is bluesign, Oeko-Tex Standard 100 and GRS certified
- Lining fabric inside hood, body and pocketing is made from rPET (recycled plastic bottles)
- 800 fill-power, 95/5 RDS-certified goose down filling
- Rated to minus 25ºC
- Hand warmer pockets, chin guard and inner collar are made from a RWS wool and recycled polyester blend
- Poly fill and webbing throughout is made from recycled polyester
- All stitching throughout is made from recycled polyester
- All woven labels are made from recycled polyester
- 6 external pockets & 4 internal pockets
- Fully adjustable waist cord
- Adjustable hood with stiffened peak
- Glove D-rings on cuffs
- Expedition patch velcro strips on chest
- Branded evacuation strap
- Made in Italy
Global Recycle Standard (GRS)… promoted by Textile Exchange, GRS standard verifies the recycled content of the fibre, ensuring responsible social, environmental and chemical practises at all stages of production.
bluesign®… guarantees the highest degree of assurance to consumers, ensuring that products have been manufactured with a responsible use of resources, including water and energy, and therefore having the lowest impact possible on people and the environment.
STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®… is a globally renowned certification that ensures no toxic chemicals are present in fabrics that could be harmful to the consumer or the environment.
Bionic Finish® ECO… is a fluorine-free durable water repellent (DWR) finish that is used on fabrics. It is highly water repellent but without the harmful fluorinated compounds widely used throughout the outdoor industry.
Responsible Wool Standard (RWS)... is a global standard that recognizes best practise farming. Under this standard, farmers are required to progressively manage their land, its soil and biodiversity as well as to ensure the well-being and fair treatment of the animals.
Responsible Down Standard (RDS)… is granted to a company that has had its supply chain audited by a professional, third-party body. It recognises and rewards the best practices in animal welfare.
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)... validates the organic content of fabric from the harvesting of raw materials to the finished product ensuring environmentally and ethically responsible manufacturing processes throughout.
Measurements in cm/inch
Sleeve length (2)
Body length (from shoulder to hem) (3)
|Across shoulder (4)||55/22||57/22.5||59/23||61/24|
Antarctica is our spiritual home. It was where Ernest Shackleton made his name as a polar explorer over a century ago and the harsh conditions remain the standard for which our apparel is developed to perform.
Antarctica supports nearly 10,000 unique and diverse species, including 15 species of whale and five species of penguin. Furthermore, the nutrient-rich waters encourage blooms of plankton and swarms of krill, which form the basis of the entire ocean food chain. Antarctica and its surrounding waters are also vital references for planet health, providing central areas for scientific research.
But the Frozen Continent is under serious threat.
As global warming melts the ice and the waters become more accessible, pressure mounts from increased industrial fishing fleets and unregulated tourism, threatening feeding grounds and habitats.
Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE) is the marine conservation NGO on a mission to see the designation of four million square kilometres of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Antarctic, incorporating the Weddell Sea, East Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula. Shackleton is proud to have partnered with BLUE in this fight.
“I’ve seen Antarctica’s jaw-dropping coastal zones first-hand,” says Shackleton co-founder Martin Brooks. “The only way to protect and preserve them from further human damage is to grant them the comprehensive MPA status they so obviously need and deserve.”
HOW TO SUPPORT THE CAUSE
For every Antarctic Protector Parka sold, £100 will be donated to Blue Marine Foundation to help protect Antarctica's Seas.
To donate to Blue Marine Foundation and learn more about their work, visit bluemarinefoundation.com