Shackleton and Leica Camera AG host Capture The Extreme 2021, a photography competition that celebrates the cultures, wildlife and beauty of the planet at its coldest reaches.
The Shackleton x Leica ‘Capture The Extreme’ Photography Competition highlights the most raw and pristine parts of the planet, where Mother Nature still has the upper hand.
When we first teamed up with Leica Camera AG in 2019 – to develop the world’s first extreme-weather photographer’s jacket, the Frank Hurley – our mission was to encourage photographers to remain inspired through the coldest months; to persevere for that next image when the conditions are doing their best to force you home. These tough conditions often lead to unforgettable moments. These are the images we’d like to see (whether captured in previous winters, in a faraway country or in your garden during a recent lockdown).
For some inspiration, see the 2020 Capture The Extreme results.
- Frozen landscapes
- Adventures in snow and ice
- People living at the extremes
- Winter wildlife
- The overall winner will receive a Shackleton Escape Jacket, Shackleton Hero Sweater, Merino watch cap, and a Leica D-LUX 7 Camera
- Category winners will receive a Shackleton Hero Sweater
- Explorer’s Choice winner will receive a Shackleton Hero Sweater
- Karin Rehn-Kaufmann, Art Director Leica
- Martin Brooks, CEO Shackleton
- Conor McDonnell, Photographer and WWF ambassador
DATES TO SAVE
- Competition closes 28 February 2021
- Judges' results announced 10 March 2021
- Explorer’s Choice shortlist announced 10 March 2021, whereby we invite you to vote for your favourite image from the 25 Highly Commended entries
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Entrants must be 18 years old or older.
- All entries must be original work from the person entering it.
- Entries with watermarks or obvious tampering to alter the scene will not be accepted.
- Entrants retain all rights to material submitted but consent to any entered images being published on Shackleton and Leica channels.
- Competition governed by the laws of England & Wales.
HOW TO ENTER
Fill out the form below, with a caption describing where and when the photo was taken.